Hello everyone!
Tomorrow at 5:00 pm, I will begin my journey to Spain. Last year around this time I was in the same situation, preparing for a long trip, trying to fit as many items into one suitcase without going over 50 lbs., nervous about forgetting something, sad to leave, and filled with excitement about what lay ahead. Then, I was coming home from Spain after spending a semester studying abroad and tomorrow I am returning to this country, but this time in a very different context.
Last year I had the opportunity to improve my Spanish skills, travel around Spain, and interact with native Spanish speakers. It was an amazing experience I will never forget! However, in my talks with my conversation partner, host family, and others during my travels, I realized that although Spain is filled with some of the most beautiful cathedrals in the world and is the destination for thousands of Christian pilgrims, very few of its citizens actually enter a church.
The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod World Missions has partnered with the Lutheran Church in Argentina to create The Iglesia Evangélica Luterana Española (The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Spain). They have been working in Spain for over 10 years spreading the Gospel and offering Divine Services. Part of how they interact with the community is through education, and practicing English has become a big part of their outreach. Since I was lucky enough to be born in the United States, watch Sesame Street, and learn English as my first language, I have been blessed with skills that can help further their mission. I will be working in Cartagena and Madrid for 4 weeks each, teaching English to children and practicing speaking English with adults in the community.
There are about 46 million people living in Spain and 100 of them are confirmed members of the Lutheran Church. By May 18 at 4:30 pm (9:30 am in Iowa), there will be 101. I’m praying that God will use me to create some fun for the kids in Spain, teach them some English, and share the knowledge of the Good News of the love and forgiveness that is ours through Christ.
Please keep me in your prayers as I go! If you are interested in finding out more about this mission, there are two websites that describe a little more:
http://www.wix.com/luteranos/decada (in Spanish, but has lots of pictures!)
http://www.wix.com/luteranos/ieleproject (in English)
Thank you so much to everyone who has already supported me with donations, prayers, and love!

No comments:
Post a Comment